Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ok so I went with a friend of mine a week or so ago to visit with chair maker Curtis Buchanan.


Curtis is truly a master chair maker but I think the thing I admire most is that he has managed to make his living working at something he truly loves. I admire his lifestyle as much as his chairs, but anyway while we were in Tennessee I picked up a few pieces of walnut. This is a couple of spoons I have made so far from that wood.


 
by the way the spoon in the middle is from a piece of birch the same friend gave me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Matthew, thanks for posting pictures of you new spoons. Nice knife work. I'm enjoying how you carved the finial on the walnut spoon such that it looks like a leather strap could be threaded through. This is a nice touch. The finial is an area that I feel I could improve on. Did you drill a hole first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Will,you are right that is what i had in mind when i caved the hole. i just had not put a piece of leather in yet. yes i did drill a small hole first.

    ReplyDelete